About the Project
This project, entitled “Mobilizing and equipping community-based organizations to promote awareness and support for person-centred care for people living with dementia and their family caregivers” is a two-year initiative (2020-2021) funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
The aim of the project is to promote the engagement of people at risk of dementia, people living with early stages of dementia, and family/friend caregivers of people living with dementia in Advance Care Planning (ACP) through two, complementary community-led activities that can be delivered either online or in-person:
1. A group conversation event: through guided conversations, participants begin to explore their wishes, values and preferences for health and personal care as a preparatory step to planning for the future in the form of an Advance Care Plan.
2. Advance Care Planning information sessions: a two-part series introducing the steps of ACP and related documents.
The project is building on the success of an existing community-led Advance Care Planning model developed by BC Centre for Palliative Care for the general public. The project team will develop a set of tools, resources, and training materials to support community organizations deliver ACP activities for people living with early stages of dementia, and their family and friends.
1. Complete an environmental scan and focus group interviews to gather information that informs the development and adaptation of the community-led ACP model.
2. Adapt the community-led ACP education model, consisting of the two activities, for British Columbians living with early stages of dementia and their family members and friends
3. Pilot the model with four (4) community organizations in BC
4. Refine the finalized model based on evaluation data collected from the pilot
5. Implement the model with ten (10) community organizations in BC
6. Synthesize and spread knowledge province-wide and to other provinces
Click here to read the executive summary of the environmental scan completed as part of this project.