More, Earlier, Better Conversations
BC Centre for Palliative Care promotes a person-centred approach to care that is respectful of, and responsive to, individual patient and family preferences, needs, and values.
View and download our Serious Illness Conversation Brochure for Health Care Providers.
The Centre’s Serious Illness Conversation (SIC) Initiative aims to:
- Promote the use of the Serious Illness Conversation Guide and Program — developed by Ariadne Labs of Harvard Medical School — throughout health authorities in B.C.
- Support the education of health-care professionals on using the SIC Guide in their practice.
- Work with health authorities to integrate the SIC Guide into clinical practice for patients with a serious illness.
- Develop tools and resources in collaboration with Ariadne Labs.
Serious Illness Conversation Training
We offer three levels of training:
- Using the SIC Guide in clinical practice
- Becoming a certified facilitator for SIC workshops
- Becoming a master trainer to train facilitators of SIC workshops
If you are interested in any of the SIC training, please contact email@example.com.
Access to SIC Workshop Materials
With each level of training completed, you get access to materials that will support you as a trained clinician, certified facilitator, or master trainer. Certified facilitators and master trainers gain access to relevant material after submitting a letter of agreement.
Access to SIC Community of Practice Forum
After completing the training, you’ll have access to a community of practice forum. The forum is a password-protected space that provides resources and allows you to connect and share experiences with peers. Click here for more information about the SIC community of practice.
Continuing Education Credits
If you undertake your training in B.C., you may be eligible for continuing education credits. Outside of B.C., continuing education credits may need to be arranged in partnership with a local university
For more information about the Serious Illness Conversation Initiative, refer to the initiative overview.