You plan for careers, vacations, weddings, and retirement.
Why not plan for your future health care?
Advance Care Planning helps you plan for your future health care
and get care aligned with your wishes.
Advance Care Planning is a way that helps you and those closest to you prepare to make health-care decisions aligned with your wishes.
Advance Care Planning involves talking with others about your future health-care wishes.
Advance Care Planning involves deciding who can make health-care decisions for you if you cannot.
Serious illness or injury can happen to anyone of us, at any time.
If this happened to you,..
Advance Care Planning helps you and those close to you be prepared to make health-care decisions aligned with your wishes.
Advance Care Planning can help you:
Advance Care Planning can help those close to you including your Substitute Decision Maker:
Advance Care Planning can help others who care for you:
Advance Care Planning is for Everyone!
All adults able to communicate their wishes and capable of making decisions should do Advance Care Planning.
You should do Advance Care Planning as early as possible if you:
The sooner you start your Advance Care Planning, the better.
It’s never too early until it’s too late.
Advance Care Planning is not a one-time thing.
You should review your Advance Care Plan if you experience changes in health status or a significant life event.
Simple ways to start:
Discuss your thoughts with:
• the people you trust; and
• your health-care providers.
Record your wishes
Share your plan with:
• those closest to you; and
• your health-care providers
• advance care planning is not a one-time event
• it is important to revisit your plan and make adjustments that reflect your values and wishes
• as long as you are able to understand and communicate, you will be able to make your own health-care decisions
• you can change your advance care plan at any time
Walter talks about his experience with Advance Care Planning and how it helped his family members know about his wishes and values